[pct-l] Country Store

Kirsten wrote:
>>The 1998 update of the California guidebook says that "The Country Store"
outside of Lancaster will accept and hold parcels for PCT hikers.  I can't
get through to them on the telephone, and I was wondering if anyone had
recent information about them.  Are they still accepting hiker's packages?<<

I'm assuming this is the Country Store near Anza.  I stopped there while
driving through California in January 1998.  The owner of the store, whom I
met on a 1995 section hike, was no longer running the store.  I would not
rely on this place anymore for resupply.  The fun thing about the Country
Store was the old trail register with entries made by hikers since the early
1980's.  The Country Store was on the route prior to building of new trail
several miles east of the store.

Camp Anza is about a mile away, and numerous posts on the PCT-L have praised
it for their friendly attitude toward PCT hikers.  It has a better store and
they hold parcels, I believe.

Roger Carpenter
P.O. Box 651
Vancouver, WA  98666