[pct-l] alternative routes WA & OR

Eagle Creek is great!  But the Bensen Plateau offical route offers some of
the best views of Mts. Adams, St. Helens and Rainier along this region.
Since I have hiked Eagle Creek often, I walked Benson Plateau on my '96
thru-hike. If you get to Eagle Creek on a weekend, expect throngs of day
hikers once you pass Tunnel Falls.  If you plan on camping along Eagle Creek
it will be nearly impossible to find solitude along the few camps the
creek's edge offers.

Jim and Ginny, I assume you are hiking the PCT for the first time.  You will
find lots of editorializing in the Oregon/Washington section about portions
of the trail.  For southern Washington, the authors strongly suggest hiking
the Wind River Road to Panther Creek campground to save about 10 miles of
forest that they are not fond of.  This is fooling, IMHO.  I would say this
section of PCT is not the greatest, but it's not as bad as the authors say.
Plus, as some of us are painfully aware, there is a safety issue with
walking on long stretches of highway.

There is an alternative supply on the Wind River Rd. called Stabler Country
Store.  This allows you to leave Cascade Locks with just 1.5 days of food.
If you want details, feel free to ask via private email.

Roger Carpenter
P.O. Box 651
Vancouver, WA  98666
(360) 696-1746