Re: [pct-l] I think I already know the answer but......

> I'm just now diving into the world of GPS so I've done a lot of research
> recently.  The eTrek is a good choice if you want a GPS for hiking.  It's
> the lightest model available right now (5.3 oz. *with* batteries) and the
> battery life is supposedly about 22 hours of continuous operation, and
even
> longer with lithiums.  It's pretty basic in terms of features but it has
> everything you need for backcountry navigation.
>
> I'm not a thru-hiker, but I expect a GPS would be handy for parts of the
> PCT.  I've heard lots of people talk about how they climbed the wrong
passes
> in the snow-bound Sierras and stuff like that, so I imagine it would be
> handy there.  Most of the time, though, you're following a well-defined
> trail and navigation isn't very challenging.
>
> Having something like an eTrek would allow you to get rid of some other
> equipment, partially offsetting its weight cost.  You wouldn't need an
> altimeter to locate your position on a map, since the GPS gives you an
exact
> location reading at all times.  You wouldn't need a separate watch since
any
> GPS unit will give you the exact time direct from the satellites.  (Though
> if you need an alarm to get up in the morning you'll still need a watch.)
> You wouldn't need to carry *supplemental* maps for navigational purposes.
>
> However, there are some caveats.  Most importantly, you still *need* to
> carry a compass and map!
>
> First, because any number of bad things could happen to the GPS - anything
> from getting bounced down a cliff to forgetting to turn it off and
draining
> the batteries to a catastrophic failure of the satellite system.
>
> Secondly, because a GPS knows position but it doesn't know orientation, at
> least when you're standing still.  It can tell you that you need to move
on
> a bearing of 26 degrees to get to your destination, but it can't tell you
if
> you're actually facing toward 26 degrees or 200 degrees or whatever unless
> you walk with it for awhile.  That's because the GPS only measures
distances
> from satellites.  Once you move with it for awhile it can figure, "I've
> traveled 500 feet north and 500 east, so my operator must be moving on a
> heading of 45 degrees."  This can be really inconvenient in dangerous
> conditions.  A GPS and a compass together is a much more powerful
> combination.
>
> Thirdly, because a GPS can tell you where you are and where your
destination
> is, but it doesn't know anything about what's in between here and there.
> You need a map to avoid heading into dead-end canyons or off cliffs or
> whatever.  A GPS lightens the requirements for maps, but it doesn't
> eliminate them.
  Hey Eric
Thanks for the info because I've been kind of putting off the GPS thing
until they devise a way to install it into your brain, but since thats still
a few years off I decided the E-trek being so small, and not too pricey, I
can give it a shot and if it's useful as my compass is then I'll keep on
keeping on!
Cheers
Dharmabum