[pct-l] Food ,Shelter and Clothing

 The bottom line is a pack provides food,shelter ,and clothing. Shelter can
weigh 2lbs or 5 lbs., clothes can weigh 2 lbs or 5lbs. The big dif. is how
much food you pack and water. This is what adds weight big time!!!   Pack
weights vary with comfort. A four lb. pack is more comfortable than a 1 lb.
pack with forty lbs. or 20 lbs. The reason is padding. There is a reason pack
straps aren't made with piano wire or boot laces even though they are
lighter. A good pack can add support to even a thirty pound load. The trade
off with a lighter less comfortable pack may not always outweight the
benefits of a heavier more comfortable model. Greg's point is right about
carrying one fourth your body weight. I should be able to pack sixty lbs.
easier than a 160 lb. hiker. The Jardine " Sprint to the next supply point "
appoach may work for some hikers like Brick, but hikers in the 200 club would
do well to stay be the tried and true nomal hiking routine. ( I can't run a
marathon but those who can can't bench press 370 ) Different body types,
different methods.