[pct-l] pack weight

Just an east coast lurker dropping in. I'm NOT entering the great Ray
debates, I just wanted to mention an article I saw within the last couple
of years comparing the old time pack weights (1930's era) to todays
"normal" pack weight. Yes, we now carry stoves, filters, and groundpads...
these replaced a hatchet, canned food and heavy pots, and we no longer cut
pine boughs to make bedding. The net result of the trade-offs was near
identical pack weights (in the 30+ lb range if I remember correctly). Mind,
this article was written about the Adirondacks, complete with a long
standing shelter system ala AT. What was interesting was to see how little
technology seemed to cut weight. Granted, most people are carrying more
(lighter) gear. And this is not directed (positively or negatively) at the
ultra-lighters... Ony a historical perspective

Happy Hiking,
Skeeter