Re: [pct-l] The Ray Way as it is.

> Let's let Ray speak for himself from the pages of his handbook:
>
> "Obviating a piece of equipment reduces it's weight by a full 100%"
>
> (really?)
>
> "...the thru-hiker in running shoes covers the trail in seven weeks less
time."

> (really?)
>
> "Candy is quite useless when it comes to supplying energy."
>
> (really?)
>
> "Because thirst is mainly psychological, we distance hikers must never
rely on
> it to tell us when we need to drink water."
>
> (rely on what? Remember this sentence while crossing the Mojave.)
>
> "If wind-driven rain prompts you to wear your parka while hiking, you will
hike
> with greater efficiency by wearing it backward."
>
> (really?)
>
> "If I need it [gear] and don't have it, then I don't need it."
>
> (really? remember this when you lose one of your shoes, or a tent pole.)
>
> "God loves the mountains, trees, and even our stealth campsites."
>
> (really? But the NPS doesn't.)
>
> "The people who survive will be the small, nomadic tribes, eking out
their
> existence upon a stormy, dusty earth."
>
> (uh, oh.)
>
> --Yes, folks, it's all in there. The "Ray Way" is a package; you need to
accept
> the whole thing in order to make it work. If you don't believe thirst is
mental,
> then you can't carry a little day pack (because you need to carry more
than a
> liter of water), and that means you can't wear slippers (because a real
pack
> weighs more), which means you're unlikely to hike 40 mile days all the way
> Canada.
>     I've seen some of Ray Jardine's first ascents in Yosemite, so my
respect for
> the man cannot be diminished. But I'll leave his book on the shelf.

Hey William.
Great quotes from Rays Way!  I mean this is what I was talking about to some
extent.  He does deserve respect for his accomplishment, but a huge
following ..definitely not!  So many times in his book I'll be reading along
going "Ok that makes sense , and I agree with that" , but then He'll slip in
some strange personal opinion of his and I'm like "What is that all about"?
Anyhow to close the book on my part in this debate on the Ray Way, so we can
get back to the never ending water filter debate, Ray is a man with some
good ideas, some not so great ideas, and a book that really needs a revision
or two.
Cheers All
Dharmabum