[pct-l] Jardine/Fires/Down

Just have to get my 2 cents worth in.

I truly believe Jardine is a Philosophy that takes awhile to be
comfortable with.  Then take what you like and leave the rest.I have
adopted a number of his ideas  and have made my own siltarptent This I
copied from Henry Shires PCT99 thru hiker  He posted it on the web. and
it works great for me.  Cannot really sew so have ordered the GVP pack
which I can hardly wait to receive.  However I am going to make the
poncho, gaitors and stuff sacks for clothes and sleeping bag from the
l.loz silicone treated nylon.

Fire= I have gotten  hold of a smoke jumpers fire tent, which is a long
piece of fireproof material that he covers himself with while lying on
the ground.  I  cut a piece of this into a  14 inch square and use it for
my stove and as a wind shield (esbit stove of course)  You can also light
a small wood fire on this fabric and not have any remains on the ground
or even show where the fire was lit.

Down- I have had the same Down Bag to 15degree  for the past 10 years.
Have made 6 trips in the Himalaya  of Nepal hiking in elevations of 10 -
18,000 ft.  Had lots of rain, snow and sun.  Never had a wet Down Bag
ever, even though the tents were sopping.
I kept it in a plastic bag inside the stuff sack while traveling.

Have also washed this same down bag numerous times in a big top loader
and dried it in a dryer on low temp. then finished drying in the
sunshine.  In fact washed it twice in the past 6 month.
It is still a good bag.
So there you have it.
Marge  (the old gal)

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!