[pct-l] Re: Down Bags

A down bag will last much longer than a synthetic. Someone posted to the
list to choose synthetic for longevity. My experience and conventional
wisdom suggest otherwise. I have never seen a synthetic bag hold its
original loft for more than a few years with normal use. Maybe some of the
newer fills are better, but still don't equal down. I own a number of
halfway decent quality (550 fill or greater) down bags and after a good wash
they always return to their original loft. I have a 15 year old down bag
that I used on the PCT in 98, it still has original loft. Goose feathers are
not the same as down and besides being really heavy, will not retain loft.

Washing your down bag:
Get some gentle detergent like woolite. Fill the tub with warm water.
Keeping the bag fully compressed in its stuff sack lower it in the soapy
water (don't use too much soap). Pull the bag out of the stuff sack while it
is submerged (It takes forever to soak a down bag by just throwing it in the
tub). Kneed the bag until the dirt and grime turn the water black or brown
or red depending where you've camped in the last XX years. Drain the tub. If
you think the bag deserves another soap treatment, repeat the washing. If
you're satisfied, fill the tub with clean water and kneed the bag getting
all the soap out and drain the tub. Repeat this 3 times or until no more
soap comes out. Wring the bag out as much as possible. Throw the bag in the
dryer, preferably no heat but the lowest heat setting is OK. Check the bag
every few minutes at first to make sure the dryer isn't really hot. Enjoy
your new bag!

I've never had to use a tennis ball or anything else to un-clump the down.
You can easily wash your bag on the trail in a hotel room, then run down to
the laundry mat to dry the bag. If there's an attendant ask if they will
turn the heat off to one of the dryers. It might take an hour, maybe a
little longer to dry the bag with no heat.

Visit http://freeworld.excite.com