RE: [pct-l] down or synthetic bags?

Many people shy away from down in wet conditions or use it only when
carrying a tent. However properly protected, I've found it quite serviceable
in all conditions. We used down on our AT hike in '77. Except during the hot
summer when we used a very light weight bag.

I expect to be using one this summer in the Sierras and possible in Northern
Oregon and Washington. Otherwise I'll be using a quilt.  When I do use the
down bag, it's with a 84" x 42" Tyvek ground cloth with a foot pouch sewn in
and a shortened (8 vs. the normal 10 panel) Z-Rest pad. I use my empty pack
for additional insulation.

At one time, I too was leery about using down under a tarp. However, that's
no longer to case. I've found that even in a tent everything gets wet after
a few days. The first day's generally ok, the second day stuff is damp and
by the third day all bets are off.

With a tarp, I make them large enough to have plenty of overhang. This
minimizes any splash on the bag. Also this summers tarp has netting that
eliminates 99% of the splash effects. In '97 we spent a number days in a row
under the tarp escaping the late afternoon thunder showers. All of our
equipment stayed much dryer than if we'd have been using a tent. This was in
part due to the location of the tarp. With a tent, many people look for
those perfect tent sites with no leaves and real clean.

This is done in part to protect the bottom of the tent from punctures. With
a tarp, I'm not nearly as picky about the site. In fact I'll set it up over
small bushes. Kind of like having plants that don't need watering around the
house. Anyway these sites, with lots of duff and leaves absorb the runoff,
the leaves cause the splashing rain to bounce in all directions, and we end
up with a cleaner, dryer ground cloth.

The only area I need clear of branches and pointed sticks is directly under
my body. Which even in my current boated state, is smaller than a tent
floor.

Anyway if you're going to use a down bag, understand how it relates to you,
your other equipment and the environments of the areas you are camping in.

Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
PCT 2000 Journey - http://www.fallingwater.com/pct2000