Re: [pct-l] Light ice axe

Grivel makes their Air Tech Racing (Mont Blanc) axe, which has an aluminum
shaft and cromoly head (for strength), and which in the shortest length
(53cm?) weighs in at 12.5 ozs. Costs about three times the one below, but is
certainly a robust axe for all seasons, as well as a work of metallurgical
art. At least until the paint begins chipping away as usual. This axe
received very little use in the Sierra last summer, and that is exactly why
I'm glad I had this type of axe. Lightweight and functional. I "didn't know"
it was there when in stowage, yet I "knew" it was there when in hand. And I
knew that carrying an axe was the right decision, even though the snowpack
was minimal. Glen Pass surprised me, but not as much as the folks I saw
trying to cross it with ski poles. An arresting sight.

- Blisterfree