No Subject

Tom Simon wrote:
> When a young farmboy, I went from May to September without shoes. You don't
> need shoes for hiking - you sissies.
I tend to agree with this view though I would not have used those exact
words. Think about it. Being from a prosperous, developed nation we have the
option to squabble about what type of foot wear is best for the backcountry.
We have so many different choices, and the ability to purchase them all, we
have become, as Tom puts it, "Sissies". Travel to a country where they don't
have the economic advantages we do and look at what they are wearing on
their feet will walking either from town to town, or over rough backcountry
terrain. Often, they will be barefoot or with a flimsy sandal or simple
leather wrap, yet they can maneuver the trails better then we can. With that
said, I admit to having a closet full of hiking shoe apparel and not going
barefoot very much. After splitting my toe open while trying to go barefoot
on the PCT and not preventing an infection by dealing with it properly, I
tend to wear at least something on my feet. I find even a simple flip-flop
sandal is all I need to prevent stubbed toes, even while carrying a medium
sized load. I also found wearing a simple moccasin was very pleasant because
I could feel the texture of the trail underfoot. The only problem being was
that the leather sole would polish out and become slippery on pine needles
and polished granite, not to mention they were not functional in any snowy
or muddy conditions.
Foot wear is very individualized and recommendations should be taken with a
grain of salt. Don't start a 2600 mile trek without first trying out your
particular footwear system. And don't forget the DUCKTAPE - better then any
mole skin.