Re: [pct-l] Ref: Internet Access.

In a message dated 1/23/00 1:46:40 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
thebear1@jps.net writes:

<< Also  just down the line in
 Anza, CA. there is Paul & Pat at Hikers Oasis which will be glad to
 provide access, and aid to all hikers.  contact :     thebear1@jps.net >>

Yea, sorry I missed them.

The day I passed over the side road that's leads to Hikers Oasis and feeling
the need to make some miles, I stopped at a choice camp spot.  Sunset on one
side and a promising sunrise on the other.  I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Serious winds kicked up in the early am and blew my tent down.  I didn't move
to much til morning and peeking out, noticed I was in a storm.  It didn't
take me long to pack up, hit the trail and walk soaking wet down the road to
the restuarant there.  I had to wait a half hour with people inside to let me
in warm up and eat!  It was ok though, after eating, I drank a few pots of
coffee and finally braved the elements to just short of of the San Jacinto
Wilderness camping around the corner from a wind that nearly blew me down.

A great next day, in warming sunshine with rime ice galore, I got my first,
real  taste of the California high country, steep climbs, breathing deeply
and looking down towards Idyllwild covered in clouds.  9000 feet high!

Sly

PS I'll be stopping next time around!