[pct-l] Boots

I tried to use boots int he Sierras, and found that they were a complete
mistake for me.  They were made out of light weight leather(Vasque), but
even with material tops I think they would have been a mistake(Vasque makes
the same boot in both leather and cloth).  They did not drain, the leather
and the cushioning material around the ankle and cuff held water and never
dried out. When I got to Reds Meadow I got a ride into Mammoth and got a
pair of running shoes.  These worked much better.  Yes, I had wet feet, but
they were not soaking the whole time, and the shoe would dry out relatively
fast.  Personally, I would stay away from running shoes that are advertized
as waterproof.They keep the moisture and heat of the foot inside the shoe,
and this is
just as bad in the desert areas as the wetness of the high Sierras.

The reason I do not think that boots are necessary through the High Sierras
is that virtually nobody was wearing boots there that I saw.  every
thruhiker that I saw was in running shoes.  The one person that was not,
wore boots on his whole hike, and ended his hike at Mt. Hood because his
feet "were numb".

The reason that I did not need boots is that I never kicked steps, and even
if I had, my boots did not have much more protection than my running shoes.
 There were usually footprints in the snow, and where there were no prints,
the snow was soft.  The usual problem was that the snow was too soft, not
that it was too hard.  Depends on what time you DECIDE to cross the high
passes and what the snow conditions are like.  If you plan to be the first
to cross the High Sierras or are hiking the Sierras NOrth to South, by all
means, take boots.
 And make them the heaviest ones you can find.

Although I did not do much step-kicking in the snow, I did a lot of
plunge-stepping going down. The north side of Glen Pass(late inthe day) and
Mather Pass(early in the day) were particularily dicey in this regard, and
I was very happy that I had choosen footwear with a straight rather than
rounded heel. On both of these passes the snow was hard and icey, and I
needed a good heel counter to keep an edge in the plunge step. If you are
going South to North, I think the heel shape of the boot or running shoe is
more important than the toe.

Take an ice ax. If you are using trekking poles(I recommend them), don't
leave your ice ax on the pack until it is too late.

Goforth