[pct-l] Miscellaneous

Strider wrote:

Back to my last suggestion: Don't enter the Sierras (or for that matter,
the
San Jacintos) when there is still appreciable snow and ice at high altitude
unless you have experience, knowledge, equipment and willingness.  Buy or
borrow an ice ax and practice with it.  Get instruction, read a book, take
course or find an experienced friend and throw yourself down a snow
covered,
safe, steep hill every way you can think of.  The more familiar you are
with
the disorientation, speed and panic of this situation, the more you will be
ready when and if you ever need it.

Amen to that.  Wear Ski goggles to protect your eyes until you're
comfortable with self-arrest.  A fellow cut open his face when I was taking
lessons a few years ago.

Of course, one could also wear a Spike Harness, with leather straps and 10"
spikes all around. Then the trekking poles would be fine...

On fees:
Sounds like the state govts are starting to believe that we are just like
 the fishermen here in the East.  They pay big bucks for a license and
gear to catch fish that the govt placed in the streams a couple of months
previously, then actually get religiously fanatic about throwing them back!

Two legs, a pack, and a map...

If Marmot's out there, please email me!

Just saw Tony Nitz's website.  Anyone have any experience with the
Australian Bicentennial National Trail?  I guess its acronym would be the
ABNT.

-- Dave

David B. Stockton
davstock@tiac.net