[pct-l] footwear

I know its an old topic, but one more thought on shoes.  For both the PCT
and CDT Sara and I wore trail running shoes.  Though a bit heavier than
regular running shoes, the toe box prevents stubbing when kicking a rock,
has great treads, and has a wide heel to prevent rolling.  Plus they hold
out a bit longer.
For camp and water shoes, we used Tevas on the PCT, but switched to a
racing flat for the CDT.  These way much less (6.5 oz) and you can cut out
the tongue for extra shavings.  They work nice for crossings as the closed
toe allows you to safely shuffle.  We bought them a size big to leave room
for thick,comfy socks to wear while kicking around camp.  Plus, when I lost
the sole on my hiking pair these made a suitable back up until we reached
our next mail drop.
I agree everyone needs to find what works for them, so there's another idea
to try.

Dan Rufner
Acting Assistant Director, UCSD Outdoor Recreation
UCSD Outback Adventures
9500 Gilman Drive, 0004
La Jolla, CA 92093-0004
(858) 534-9665