[pct-l] what to do if your PCT plans fall apart

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Wed Sep 7 08:53:40 CDT 2022

I was scared off section Q over Labor Day by fires and smoke - and the
Forest Service response was to re-open Q completely for anybody brave
enough to try.    I wonder if they will ever get the Cold Spring trailhead
open to vehicles to make it easier to get to the middle.

Meanwhile, I guessed right about the Tahoe Rim Trail and enjoyed spectacular
pleasant weather finishing up the Mt Rose Wilderness between Martis Peak
and Relay Peak, camping at Gray Lake.    Despite being Labor Day weekend,
and having half a dozen spacious campsites, there weren't any other  campers
at Gray Lake on Sunday and Monday nights.   That's remarkable given the
suburban-ness of most of the Tahoe basin.    In the wilderness part of
the trail, I saw maybe a dozen people on Sunday and Monday, and four on
Tuesday.   Of these, at most a third were equipped for overnight, and a
third were runnning, carrying only a little water.

So when you've finished the PCT, and the parts of the JMT that aren't on
the PCT, you can finish the Tahoe Rim Trail, since you've already done
a third, and maybe try to follow the Tahoe Yosemite Trail, using the guidebook
published over 50 years ago.

David Hough