[pct-l] more hot dry miles in western section D

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Mon Jun 13 08:29:11 CDT 2022

Continuing from the day before, walked from 4N24 to Moody Canyon Road.
No water on the trail.    Messenger Flats Campground was open with nice breezy
picnic tables and a vault toilet, even bearproof garbage cans - but no water.
The spigots were removed and the pipe capped many years ago I think.

Passed by one through hiker who was thrilled to be assured that there was
water at North Fork.

Trail conditions were pretty good up until the high point on Mount Gleason.
There was one tree down that would probably not block stock but the stock
would undercut the trail even worse than the hikers bypassing the tree on
the downhill side.    Max diameter about 12".   A short stroll from the
Mt Gleason Road at the saddle between the Nike site hill and Mt Gleason,
two trail miles east of road 4N24.

>From the high point on Mt Gleason down to Moody Canyon Road, the brush is
working hard to overgrow the trail, just as it has been since the trail
was built.    There were several trees across the trail, passable to stock.
And there is one big rock that has fallen across the trail, about a third
of the way from Messenger Flats to Moody Canyon Road.    It might be
passable to determined stock, but I wouldn't want to be riding.
Something like 2 ft by 2 ft by 5 ft long.

David Hough