[pct-l] Update: Permethrin from livestock supply stores

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Fri Aug 26 21:31:47 CDT 2022

Hello again everybody, and thanks for the advice.  Here's what I did,
and what my results were.

The short version is:

- It worked well on nylon, but poorly on wool.
- The petroleum-based permethrin product I used had a slight gasoline
smell, but it was not bothersome.  I'd suggest using a water-based
product instead, but just because it might make application easier.
- I think treating gaiters is a good idea, since that's where ticks tend
to climb aboard, but, ticks were not an issue on this trip so I don't
know if it actually helped.

The long version is:

I bought the "Gordon's Permethrin 10 Livestock & Premise Spray", part
number 9291082.  I diluted it 2oz to 1qt of water, which should result
in a solution about 0.6% (so, slightly stronger than what they sell for
clothes).

I soaked my clothes in it for an hour or so, wrung them out, and
line-dried them outdoors in partial shade for a couple days.  This was
much longer than necessary, but I wanted to let them air out a bit
because of the smell (more on that later).  The clothes I treated were:

- A SmartWool 120-weight long-sleeved shirt, 100% wool.
- A pair of REI Sahara pants, 100% nylon.
- A pair of Dirty Girl gaiters, 100% polyester.

Also, I put some of the solution in a spray bottle, and used it to spray
the following articles that were too large to soak:

- A pair of Altra Lone Peak 6 shoes.
- A Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat, some parts are 100% nylon, others
100% polyester.

Then, I went backpacking in central Washington for ten days, around Mt.
Rainier, which has similar conditions to the North Cascades section of
the PCT.  On my hike, most days didn't have significant mosquito
problems, but they were present on a couple days, and heavy for a few hours.

I got a number of bites through my shirt, but none through my pants, or
on my head.  I take this to mean that the permethrin stuck to the nylon
pants well, but not the wool shirt.  The hat, being synthetic, probably
also held the permethrin well, and perhaps affected mosquitoes that were
going for my head.  So, it seems like permethrin sticks to synthetics
much better than wool (at least, for this permethrin product with this
application technique).

On the other hand, there were many hot days and lots of steep uphills,
so maybe my sweat rinsed the permethrin out of the shirt.  Or, maybe the
weave on my shirt was different from that of the pants, and easier to
bite through.  So, really, take my results with a grain of salt, this
was far from a scientific test.

It's hard to say whether the treatment of my shoes or gaiters did
anything, since they're not really mosquito attack areas.  I do really
like the idea of treating gaiters with permethrin, since it seems like a
good way to cut down on ticks, but though ticks were not an issue for
anybody on this particular trip.

Also, some of the advice I'd read (outside the PCT-L) was to avoid
permethrin products that contain petroleum distillates, because the
treated clothes will smell like gasoline.  The brand I used did contain
them, and my clothes did smell.  But, the smell was not very strong --
it was noticeable at close range in town, but not really on trail.
Nobody aside from me seemed to notice it, even when I asked.

Retrospectively, even though the smell was not strong, I think I
should've gone with a water-based version anyway, since part of the
application process involves further diluting it with water.  As the
permethrin/water solution in my treatment bucket sat still while my
clothes soaked, I noticed a white film formed on the top.  Maybe this
was the petroleum-based permethrin solution separating out from the
water I'd mixed it with.  If so, this might mean that the spots on my
clothes near the top of the water level got over-treated, and everything
else got under-treated.  So, maybe mixing oil and water was not the best
way to get an even application.

And lastly, I had no issues with stains, contrary to some non-PCT-L
advice I'd received.

Thanks again everybody,
  -=Town Food