[pct-l] adventures on section M

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Mon Aug 8 08:52:44 CDT 2022

In the hopes of completing my rehike of M, over the last two days
I went from Silver Lake to Belden.

The PCT is in great shape - no obstacles to stock, just a few trees down
easily bypassed.

The Granite Gap trail from Silver Lake to PCT is also in good shape -
described online as "faint, hot, and steep" I can confirm it is steep -
lots of granite steps - and would be hot on a still day but I had a
refreshing breeze.   It is no longer faint - I met several parties in a
couple of hours on Saturday.

Three Lakes merit a whole separate message.    Here's the water report
for Sat and Sun -

nomenclature and mileages from Halfmile 2019 -

ClearCreekSpring running clear at trail
ClearCreek seasonal headwaters still running clear at trail
ClearCreek2 running strong and perennial.    The nearby campsites look pretty
 sad.   Just over the creek there was one good looking campsite among
 boulders.
 Last year's fire damange is everywhere.
WA1278 shallow lily pond still lots of water
BreckenFernSpring - no water at trail, I didn't go looking for it.
WA1282 seasonal spring - still tricking out of iron spout, about a liter
 a minute maybe.   Easy access.
CanyonViewSpring via short trail - running clear about 2-3 liters a minute
 but awkward to access.
 No water at trail.

David Hough