[pct-l] so much for redoing section Q this year

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Mon Aug 1 17:23:33 CDT 2022

Sunday's news - buses for hikers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2022/07/31/mckinney-fire-department-updates-siskiyou-county-yreka-california-evacuation/10195534002/

Aside from that, it's great to know that progress was being made on the trail!
Thanks due to the North 350 Blades for helping out.

I was remembering what I reported in June last year:

> In and out hike north from Grider Creek Campground until I
> got discouraged after about 1.25 miles and turned around.    Grider Creek
> is big but not convenient to get to.  No Name Creek
> was running.    Deadfall trees were not a problem but the brush was
> extremely thick, though it was not hard to follow the trail.   Lots of poison
> oak.
> Through hikers that night, camped at the Mid-River RV Park, asked if I
> intended to go south on the PCT from Grider Creek Campground, and said don't
> do it.     I'd already had enough.

Here's the whole recent story -

> Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 19:12:53 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Barry Teschlog <tokencivilian at yahoo.com>

> About 12 miles of the PCT in Section Q was brushed out these last 2 years,
near Seiad Valley.
> Last year, a PCTA volunteer crew from the North 350 Blades Chapter cleared
about 2.5 miles of brush centered at a point about 8 trail miles from the
beginning of the road walk, so south of Seiad.  We'd also chainsawed
out about 1.5 miles of blowdown.
> In May of 2022, that same volunteer PCTA North 350 Blades crew returned and
cleared ~3.6 miles going north, starting from the road.  This cleared
out the brush and the worst of the poison oak.  1/3 of the crew
suffered badly from poison oak in the process.  The local volunteers
had already cleared the logs in this direction.
> Starting before the PCTA crew arrived and worked north, a California
Conservation Corps crew worked south, clearing brush.
In total over about 3 weeks, they cleared about 6 trail miles, starting
from the beginning of the road walk working south.
That leaves about a mile of brush to clear to join up with the 2021 work.
> The PCTA crew is considering heading back for a 3rd year and doing more.
> If the PCTA crew had more people, they could do a lot more - In 2021 is was
only 5 and this year was only 6.
Power saws make the work go quickly.
The Washington based volunteers are looking to go back again in 2023.
Not sure if we'll work the north or south sides,
there's plenty of work to go around.
But if they worked the south side, we'd likely go back to where we were in
2021, brush to "tie in" with what the CCC's did, then push south toward the
Wilderness boundary with the brush and chain saws.

Best of luck to all these energetic volunteers!