[pct-l] Fires

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 20:24:03 CDT 2021

Once again on UTube videos I have seen hikers making fires. We are in a constant Wild Fire zone. This is the west coast. I realize that some of you hikers still are so new to long distance hiking that you make campfires for emotional comfort or some out dated idea of what is proper behavior on a trail. Unless you are in a health threatening situation a hiker in the west never makes a fire. One ember can start a fire miles away.Al  it takes is a small wind to kindle that ember   In the miles I’ve done ( 20,000 and counting ) I have never made a fire. But I have certainly put them out. Every  trail I’ve been on there has been a smoldering fire that I have had to put out. I hope that some day I won’t have to say that. I hope that some day hikers will start the PCT knowing that to get warm you get into your tent/sleeping bag/ dry clothes, wring out your wet socks, put them under your sleeping pad so they don’t freeze and untie your shoelaces, put your shoes in a plastic bag or stuff sac and under your bag so they won’t freeze. You only make a fire if there is no other choice. Before you leave camp( even if it is before dawn) you must be able to put your hand into the fire without feeling any warmth.
I wish you all the best.  Please don’t burn down our forests
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone