[pct-l] Paradise Valley Cafe to Agua Dulce (152-454)

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Fri Feb 5 16:23:27 CST 2021

Dear PCT-L,

Many of you have helped me in the past.  I’m a section hiker from Spokane
and started hiking the WA PCT in 1977.  If I am able to finish the whole
trail, I’m sure I’ll hold the record for taking the longest time to section
hike!

First of all, thank you David, for sharing the article from Louise Farr —
Tragedy on Apache Peak.  With all the research and interviews that she did,
she managed to capture the camaraderie and spirt and determination of PCT
hikers, as well as the grievous dangers.  The PCTA Jan. 29 Trail Dirt
newsletter had a long article written by Trevor’s dad.

Sometime in April, pandemic permitting — Feb 19 I’ll get my second
vaccination — a friend who’s hiked some other CA sections with me, and I
will start at Highway 74, and hope to make it to Agua Dulce.  After that,
all I have left is Tehachapi to Sonora Pass — woo hoo!

What advice would you all have for me?

I’m following sanjacjon’s San Jacinto trail reports  — he is utterly
amazing! — to see what’s up with the snow cover.  My friend and I are
flexible so if there’s little snow, we can start earlier or wait til
later.  I’ve already mapped out alternative routes down from Spitler, if
it’s dicey up toward Apache Peak.  And I’ll be checking in with ranger
stations.

Even tho I’ve hiked 1900 PCT miles, this stretch seems really daunting —
very high peaks with possibly dangerous icy conditions mixed in with hot
desert stretches and little to no water.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

Thanks,
Sunshine (Susan from Spokane)