[pct-l] 1974 article in the Mountaineer about the "proposed" PCT

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:13:55 CDT 2020

Wow, good stuff...

"...destroy a man's living just because a lot of bums want to walk on a
trail." (Yeah, that pretty well sums it up!)

"You can put up a chain-link fence along Buckman Springs Road to keep the
idiots out -- or else give us a license to shoot 'em down with shotguns."

FWIW, the temporary route in the '70s missed the Hook ranch (south of
Boulder Oaks) altogether; we followed paved Cameron Raod a few miles to the
east. But apparently the ranchers won. The line on the map shown in the
article -- and the proposed route shown in the '74 guidebook -- went along
the east side of Cottonwood Valley. But the final trail hugs Buckman
Springs Road on the west side of the valley, just as the ranchers wanted.