[pct-l] Marmot

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Tue Jul 14 18:55:49 CDT 2020

The myth of the class of 1977 that I either heard or imagined was that it was
the first ad-hoc group of non-related though hikers.
I don't recall hearing of any other through hikers/riders on the PCT other than
individuals and couples prior to 1977.

I'm glad to hear that the myth had some substance to it but, as usual, the
reality was more complicated than the myth.

No doubt there were "classes" on the AT for decades before that, though I
don't know whether they were called that.

On the CDT I have no facts, but always supposed it was mostly individuals
and couples, but the class-of-1977 phenomenon might have already happened
there.     It sounds like the CDT still offers
the other pre-1977 PCT experiences here and there -
vague routes, too many routes, not enough routes, etc.

On the Camino Francés in Spain in 2003, people tended to self sort into
small groups that traveled at the same speed and had a common language.
If anybody thought to call them "classes" it would be all those who
arrived in Santiago on a particular day.