[pct-l] Marmot

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:37:20 CDT 2020

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:54 PM David Hough reading PCT-L <
pctl at oakapple.net> wrote:

> I suppose the class of 1977
> had the benefit of the second edition published that year, which offered
> the improved maps used ever since by Wilderness Press.

Yes and no. I had been corresponding with Tom Winnett throughout the
previous fall and winter, and Wilderness Press hoped to have the new
edition done in time for the '77 season. Didn't happen. (IIRC, the CA
volume came out mid-summer, about the time the thru hikers crossed into
Oregon!) Instead, Tom sent me page proofs at several points along the way.
In those days, a page proof consisted of a photocopy of the paste-up board,
which had all the type pasted down in position -- and a big black rectangle
(on the photocopy; on the original board, it's rubylith) wherever photos or
maps would go. So we didn't have the advantage of the new, larger scale,
multicolor maps, but we did have the updated textual descriptions, which
were helpful because a lot of new trail had been built between '73 and '77.
And it also gave us an opportunity to comment (not always complimentary!)
and provide updates on the new text, some of which made it back to
Wilderness Press before printing. Thanks for reminding me about how bad the
original '73/'74 maps were!

I don't know if anyone else from '77 corresponded directly with Wilderness
Press, but of course we shared the intel we had.

> The trail is a living thing and part of the adventure is there is no trail
sometimes.

Definitely true in a few places in '77, but for the most part, USFS and
Wilderness Press had mapped out a pretty good route using existing trails
and roads where permanent PCT had not yet been built. I do recall one place
near Castella where we were cruising along on a section of newly built
trail, which abruptly ended in the middle of the forest with a stake in the
ground marked "End Project."

We have gone back in a few places to revisit the '70s route. Makes for a
nice loop trip: Go one way on current PCT, one way on old route.

Cheers,
Carl
1977 PCT Kelty Kid