[pct-l] Marmot

Jeffrey Olson jjolson58 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:43:15 CDT 2020

I was hiking along the CDT in the Winds in September, 2011 and ran
across the Bear Creek Survey party.  I believe they were finishing up
surveying the trail that year.

It was Jerry Brown and two helpers, one of whom carried the big GPS
antenna.  An older guy and two strong younger persons, a man and woman
if I remember correctly.  The amount of detail they were recording was
impressive.  A couple years ago I hiked from Crazy Crook north.  I'd
check the guthook track and cairns on the top of the little ridges, the
50' up and down that's wearying.  The app was within 10' every time.

All that said, I got lost in the early oughts just south or north of
the  Wyoming/Colorado border.  I had to drop down a ridge and up
another, all in mostly forest.  No trail, no ribbons in trees, no
nothing.  An interesting three hours, hot sweaty and bothered... The
trail is a living thing and part of the adventure is there is no trail
sometimes.

In 1992 hiking south from Lassen we kept running into clear cuts. My
girlfriend got really good at looking at the topo, the forest a quarter
mile away, at the topo, and back and forth.  She located the trail every
time to like within 50'.  After that she did the map reading.

JEff