[pct-l] Trouble is Back in Town

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 15:36:18 CDT 2020

JMT Record Setter Reinhold wrote: Switchback, with his vast backpacking knowledge and trail humor, was the "MAGNET" on this list that drew backpackers from all corners of the world to this list to read his backpacking words of wisdom and chuckle at his trail humor.
Switchback the Trail Pirate and Urban Prepper replies: Blah humbug!  I must admit when I observe the YouTube sites on hiking the PCT, I can tell in 30-seconds if they really know what they are doing.  I just look at their clothes and gear they are carrying and just shake my head slowly.  I notice that hikers still do not understand the concept of heat radiation and dehydration.  And this is for the whole trail, not just NoBo to Kennedy Meadows!  I don't care if they are thru-hiking or Yoyoing the trail.  I am so tired of promoting SunPrecautions pants, shirt, hat with drape, and hand guards along with a solar umbrella that I really do not care to talk about it anymore.  Let them suffer.  That clothing keeps you cooler when hot and warmer when cold.  Very weird stuff.  And I am tired of hikers using their hiking poles the wrong way too.   Don't get me started on that.  I bet if I asked 1,000 hikers on the PCT how do you use a hiking pole correctly, about 10 would know the answer.  On the pandemic front, we gave away a lot of our N95 masks to our doctor and friends.  I have been wearing mine for at least 3-weeks when I go out and about.  I like the 3M brand the best for anyone who might be interested.  Enough ranting --- though it was fun.  Your humble and obedient servant, etc., etc., etc.