[pct-l] Snow

Douglas Tow douglastow at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 18:44:53 CDT 2019

Hello, all ye actives and lurkers,

Is 2019 the highest snow year in the history of the established PCT?

A few hardy souls have entered the Sierra, and all that I know of got off
at Kearsarge to wait for better weather.  One group of five that I know of
went back in, and by the time they reached Mammoth, one had second-degree
frostbite on his toes, one had burned eyes from a period without sunglasses
over snow, and one had some bad sores on his achilles from shoe friction on
constantly wet skin.  One went head over heels from a glissade that didn't
go as planned, but fortunately without injury.

In the big snows of 2011, I met 43 thru-hikers as they came through Ebbetts
Pass, and they certainly were, well, badasses.  It remains to be seen if
NOBOs straight through this year are that as well, or just plain insane.

Chipmunk