[pct-l] advice on sections D, E, F

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Mon Feb 4 20:52:48 CST 2019

Dear Hikers,

I’m a long-time section hiker who’s walked from Echo Lakes to Manning Provincial Park, and Campo to Paradise Valley Cafe, now looking to cover some more ground.

I’m hoping to do about a month of section hiking starting around March 24.  Just checked the Sierra snowpack and found it’s 100% of normal — does that also apply to the southern CA mountain ranges?

If they will all be snow-covered, rather than finish Section B, and get into Section C and D — all of which have 9000' sections, I’m thinking about starting around Highway 2 which crosses the PCT about 46 miles into Section D at 6700’ or when it re-crosses the PCT 10 miles later at 6800’ and then go into Sections E & F.  What do you think?  Here are some questions:

1.  Is Highway 2 a good place to get a ride to or is it off in the middle of nowhere?
2.  Is that 50-60 mile stretch of the PCT ending in Agua Dulce likely  to be snow-free the end of March?  Or if not, is it still relatively ok to hike?
3.  Or is it better to just start at Agua Dulce and head straight into E & F?
4.  Any idea if there will be other hikers in that part of Section D, then into E and F on the trail at that time, or will they all be closer to Campo?
5.  I know I’m not supposed to count on water caches, but would any be maintained in late March/early April?
6.  Other thoughts or advice?

—Sunshine (Susan from Spokane)