[pct-l] 2019 Hiking Season

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 12:52:35 CST 2019

I-Beam Wrote
"On all three of these hikes the trail was crowded.  Hiking on the trail in
Oregon in August you are in the middle of both the northbound and southbound
herds.  I am hoping that in 2020 in Washington I will be ahead of the herd.

On another note, I am one of the crew leaders for the PCTA's Cajon Pass
Chapter of trail maintainers (affectionately known as the trail gorillas).
We are always looking for volunteers.  Our next project will be on Saturday,
January 18th.  Check it out on the PCTA's website -  PCTA.org "

Reply:In re Washington, it depends on when you hit Washington.  If you're NOBO, you'll be well ahead of the bulk of the herd if you hit Cascade Locks mid to late July and finish by later in August or very early in September.  Note that August into early September is prime section hiking time in Washington and popular sections like Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass (I-90 to US2) are quite busy.

If you want to come up to Washington to work on the trail, I have it on good authority from one of the founders of the PCTA's North 350 Blades chapter that there will be a multiple week long crews on Glacier Peak this coming summer.  1 or 2 will be full on horse pack supported (possibly in the July time frame) while a couple will be mostly self supported backpack trips (early to mid August time frame).  The latter 2 will head in on the south side of Glacier Peak and start tackling the decade plus backlog of brush.

Barry