[pct-l] 2019 Hiking season

JimLBanks at verizon.net JimLBanks at verizon.net
Tue Dec 10 20:26:15 CST 2019

This year I did some sections that I had skipped in prior years because of
fires or for logistical reasons.  In June I hiked from Tehachapi to where
the trail crosses Kelso Valley road.  Then in July I hiked from Cook & Green
Pass (north of Seiad Valley) to Ashland Ski area just before the trail
crossed Interstate 5 in southern Oregon.  That was my 3rd time trying to
hike that section.  Several years ago I was forced off the trail at Cook &
Green Pass because of a fire and then planned on making up that section two
years later but was again turned back by another fire.  By the way, for
those of you that like to go to micro-breweries, Caldera in Ashland, Oregon
is a great one.   Great beer and food.  Then in August I hiked from McKenzie
Pass to Timberline Lodge.  That now makes a continuous hike, over many
years, from the Mexican border to Timberline Lodge, 2,100 miles.  I would
have gone all the way to Cascade Locks, but I am hoping that the Eagle Creek
trail will reopen before my hiking days are over, so I am saving that little
section.  In 2020 I will start hiking Washington.

On all three of these hikes the trail was crowded.  Hiking on the trail in
Oregon in August you are in the middle of both the northbound and southbound
herds.  I am hoping that in 2020 in Washington I will be ahead of the herd.

On another note, I am one of the crew leaders for the PCTA's Cajon Pass
Chapter of trail maintainers (affectionately known as the trail gorillas).
We are always looking for volunteers.  Our next project will be on Saturday,
January 18th.   Check it out on the PCTA's website -  PCTA.org

I-Beam