[pct-l] Couples Thru Hiking

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 14:19:32 CDT 2018

I believe the intent was to communicate within the couple, not outside. Two InReach devices would be expensive. A radio with defined check-in times would fit the bill. Unfortunately, radios don’t usually charge at the 5V of a USB device, so you’d be carrying the extra weight of a dedicated charger just to keep them charged.

It’s really hard to lose the trail. If you follow the stopping and waiting tactics already discussed, radios shouldn’t be necessary at all.

That said, I’d be strategic about splitting gear. IMO, two Sawyer Minis is better than one shared Squeeze: you’re more independent and carrying a system with redundancy baked in. Planning for the worst case navigation scenario, whoever is carrying the quilt should carry the ground cloth (can be pitched as a tarp if necessary) and whoever is carrying the tarp should carry extra insulation (in case they spend the night out without the quilt). On days you might have to stop early due to an emergency (eg it’s raining and you have a gear failure), don’t split up at all.

The challenge will be day in and day out with the faster person stopping at all the right places. 5, 5-minute breaks in two hours is really challenging: you never hit your groove or get a good rest. The temptation to push through a few junctions or crossings to consolidate into a larger break in a better location will be high. Know your partner and what they’re capable of (both physically and emotionally) and talk it out. Some gear redundancy prevents catastrophe as well as making separation for longer periods mentally okay for the trailing person.

Cheers,
Armstrong

PS If you leave notes (please don’t), date them! An un-dated note is trash and should be removed.
PPS Don’t build cairns. If you really want to move rocks, join a trail maintenance crew.