[pct-l] What's a Crowd

Jay Bruins jbruins at gmail.com
Tue May 8 19:25:42 CDT 2018

It’s really easy to avoid camping with people: dry camp. As an added bonus, you’ll be leaving less of a trace than if you don’t. It comes at the cost of one extra liter (at most) of water carried a quarter mile or so.

Likewise, I think the level of partying will depend entirely on you. On the trail, even where it’s crowded, most nights you can just fall asleep after a good days hike. Even the “partying” types don’t stay up that late on the trail, that’s more for town and around trail angels.

It’s also worth pointing out that partying takes time. The serious partiers tend to take longer to get to the finish. I took a few weeks off (2+1) due to foot issues. The nature of the crowd changed each time I got back on.

FWIW, I camped at Walker Pass that same night. Tents largely implies non-hikers, of which there were still a few camps despite it being a Sunday night. There was no good parking when I arrived, though one car of mountain bikes left shortly thereafter. The number of hikers was similar to 2015 and very few were left by 7:30 Monday morning.

Cheers,
Armstrong

PS And, yes, it was fun. Not because of any party (despite copious available beer), but because of the welcoming atmosphere from people who behave like lifelong friends just 30 seconds after meeting.