[pct-l] Bear canister too small?

Town Food pctl at marcusschwartz.com
Sat Mar 24 01:23:12 CDT 2018

I had always heard that you were required to carry and use a bear
canister in the Sierras, but that you weren't required to store *all*
food and scented items in it.  I put my smellier items in my bear
canister, and the less-smelly ones in an odor-proof Opsak.  Each night,
I would store the bear canister approprately (i.e. in a depression >100
paces from camp), and store the Opsak in my non-Sierra way (in my
trash-compactor-lined backpack in my vestibule.  I never had any problems.

It's also worth mentioning that some foods are much smaller per calorie
than others (e.g. cheese, nuts, peanut butter, other fatty things with
little air).  Commercial dehydrated meals are quite large per calorie,
and tend to have heavy, awkwardly-shaped packaging.

Also, a side note -- the Bearikade canisters are larger and lighter than
any other Yosemite-approved canisters on the market.  They're expensive
to buy, but renting them is cheaper than buying the smaller, heavier
ones.  So unless you have concise plans to need a bear canister again,
and think it's worth the weight and capacity penalty to go with a
different canister, I'd strongly recommend renting a Bearikade.

And another side-note:  I think it's worthwhile to line bear canisters
with a plastic bag and tie it off, to reduce odors.  Although a bear
wouldn't be able to get in the canister, you don't want it being
attracted towards your campsite (even if you have the canister 100ft
away), nor do you want it messing with your bear canister and
potentially knocking it down a hill.  It's also a little easier to get
things in and out of the canister if there's a movable plastic lining.

It's almost impossible to line them with Opsaks (or other zipper bags),
but there exist more flexible odor-proof bags that tie off with twisties.

  -=Town Food