[pct-l] Last 300 miles

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 15:18:59 CDT 2018

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/

The Snotel sensors are a good indication as to the general state of the snowpack.  As for the last 300 miles, it's an average to above average year north of White Pass / Highway 12 - a bit heavier further north, a bit lighter toward the south.
South from Canada:Harts Pass: 132%
Rainy Pass:  119%Stevens Pass:  118%Olallie Meadows (just south of Snoqualmie Pass):   108%Stampede Pass (18mi south of Snoqulamie Pass):  83%White Pass:  89%

One element you should know:  If you head north from White Pass early season, the section from Chinook Pass to Government Meadows may not be open yet, after the Norse Peak Fire last year.  Crews have to wait until the snow melts to assess trail conditions.  The current order appears to expire in May, however it may be extended.  Check back to the PCTA web page and relevant USFS sources.
"In past years, I've requested an entry permit from the fine folks in Canada, with plans to hike to Hope, then West to Vancouver. I doubt I'll do that this time. I'll go to the border, take my pictures, then turn around and hike back to first major road. Is that about 30 miles or so of back-track?"Reply:  Yes, about 30 miles, give or take.  Halfmile calls it 30.57 miles from the border to Harts Pass.