[pct-l] Trail magic skeptics

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Mon Mar 12 10:32:54 CDT 2018

I am deeply appreciative of the magic that has come my way over the years of sectioning the PCT. Piper's mom, who picked me up from the bus stop and drove me to the trailhead; an angel who posted his name and number at the trail head offering rides; the hiker way station outside of Burney Falls with sodas, chips and cookies; free coffee, a place to hang out with other hikers, and trail angel rides to and from the trail head at Trout Lake; the little church in Sierra City that lets hikers camp for free right in the middle of town; I could go on and on. In a time of divisive politics and tribalism, that someone would offer such generosity and kindness to a stranger can be more restorative to the soul than a long walk in a silent forest.

But even more than the rides and "goodies" trail angels provide, magic so often affords the opportunity to further connect with trail community and add to the experience. My first taste of trail magic was, in fact, with Chipmunk, who provide me a fine breakfast and comfortable place to sit and rest. We chatted some and emailed a bit back and forth after that. Years later I sectioned southbound White Pass to Timberline Lodge. While enjoying the breakfast buffet who did I see but Chipmunk. We greeted each other as long-lost friends, all because of a connection brought about by magic.

To me, trail magic adds to the richness of my hiking adventure. Thanks to all who have offered help and respite to me and other fellow hikers, and know that you are part of the wonderful memories I treasure of my life on trial.

Herb