[pct-l] PCT-l and flame wars

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Thu Mar 8 11:13:23 CST 2018

Ned Tibbits said: "I don't recall when Brick started this listserve,
but I think I've been on it since 2005 and have never seen a "flame
war" or bitchy person rant their opinions on another."
Although the PCT list serve conveyed a lot of info, I remember more
than a few incidences on this list serve of nasty interactions, many
involving Rheinhold Metzger and that guy who is or was Yogi's
boyfriend. All under the guise of "free speech" of course. It has
driven many people away from the list serve. Plus the fact that it is
in a form that you have to wade through to get to anything of
interest. White Blaze is a good example of a a subject driven system
where you can go to a certain subject to get the info you need. Jack
Haskel of the PCT had said several years ago that the PCTA was going
to develop their own White Blaze type site, but I don't think they
ever have. I've been concentrating on hiking other trails, so don't go
on the PCTA website to find out what they have done.
I don't like Facebook either, but the list serve was not any less
prone to flame wars and bitchiness.
--Mary "Fireweed" Kwart