[pct-l] eTrails 2017: Free PCT Guidebook App for iOS

William E Frenette groundpounderbill22 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 5 12:22:33 CST 2018

Where do you get etrails at?

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Monday, March 5, 2018 Scott Diamond <scott.diamond.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
I second this. Gutthook and Halfmile apps are great for navigating but eTrails provides something different. Like Susan, I really enjoyed reading about the geology, plants and history. In some senses it is different than any other guidebook. With the GPS and PCT mileage, David can point to specific trees or landmarks. With normal guidebooks you can get a sense of the botany but eTrails can let you know exactly where on the trail that unique conifer is or something else of interest. Now that it covers the rest of the PCT it is even better. Thanks, Rover

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 8:20 AM, Susan Virnig <susanvirnig at gmail.com> wrote: > Dear David & PCT folks, > > eTrails is powerful, wonderful and extremely helpful — plus for those of > us who used the Wilderness Press guidebooks for decades, eTrails has, in a > separate place, the historical, geological, botanical and downright quirky > insights on the land we all walk thru. I cannot recommend it highly enough! > > Thanks for this updated version, and all you have done to make our hikes > safer, more fun and in the process, helped us learn new things. > > Happy trails, > Susan from Spokane aka Sunshine > > > On Mar 4, 2018, at 8:42 PM, David Money Harris <David_Harris at hmc.edu> > wrote: > > > > Folks, > > > > I’m happy to announce eTrails 1.7.1 is now available for free at the App > Store. > > > > eTrails is a free guidebook app that now covers the entire PCT. It > shows your position and the trail overlaid on high quality USGS maps. It > has thousands of points of interest along the trail, including the usual > water sources, campsites, and trailheads, and also lots of information > about the natural and human history along the trail that other guidebooks > lack. The app is available on iOS only. > > > > I finished Washington in 2017 and am happy to say the app now covers the > whole trail. It’s been my way to give back to the community that gave me > so much while hiking. > > > > I am also a guidebook writer with Wilderness Press and eTrails also > covers my books in Orange County and the Inland Empire. > > > > I’m not on Facebook or redit, so I’d appreciate if anyone would forward > this message to interested parties, and to leave positive reviews if you > find eTrails helpful. > > > > Happy hiking, > > > > David Harris > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > Pct-L mailing list > > Pct-L at backcountry.net > > To unsubscribe, or change options visit: > > http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l > > > > List Archives: > > http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/ > > All content is copyrighted by the respective authors. > > Reproduction is prohibited without express permission. > > _______________________________________________ > Pct-L mailing list > Pct-L at backcountry.net > To unsubscribe, or change options visit: > http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l > > List Archives: > http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/ > All content is copyrighted by the respective authors. > Reproduction is prohibited without express permission. > _______________________________________________ Pct-L mailing list Pct-L at backcountry.net To unsubscribe, or change options visit: http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l List Archives: http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/ All content is copyrighted by the respective authors. Reproduction is prohibited without express permission.