[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 112, Issue 6

marmot marmot marmotwestvanc at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 21 19:53:41 CDT 2018

2017 was a terrible year. Very very difficult. Many tears were shed. I sat for half an hour in Hot Springs and listened to one hiker explain how he and a group of hikers found a cross county and dirt road route around the Oregon fires. What a feat. I've always said that if I had done the PCT in '93 or '95 I would not have had the skills to do it. Too much snow.  I was lucky I chose '94.
It's always sad when the year you pick has such terrible challenges. That's a part of long distance hiking. It's a part of looking yourself in the mirror. It's one of the reasons ALDHA and Aldha-west were formed. Being around others who know what it is to be out there for months is priceless.
Can't tell you how many hikers on the AT this year are the walking wounded. With braces/tape/supports on their ankles and knees.
Hiking on
Marmot

Sent from my iPhone