[pct-l] Permits / Southern Sierra

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 09:41:33 CST 2018

In re Paint's message about section permits.

Here's another suggestion for those wanting to do a ~200-ish mile section hike of the Southern Sierra:
Enter at Kennedy Meadows and go up to Mammoth.  Permits were a snap at the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitors Center on the south edge of Lone Pine.  Allow about an hour.  You'll need an estimated itinerary (miles / camp locations).  We were permitted through all the way to Reds Meadow / Mammoth.  Another advantage of starting here is that you'll get a few days to acclimate to the altitude as you work your way north toward Forrester Pass..

This is a non-quota trailhead so we got the permits with a "walk up".  Long term parking is available at the campground (inquired at the store).  Sierra Trails Ride Share can help you shuttle back and forth at the end of your hike.

It's permissible to exit and re-enter via quota trailheads for supplies, so long as you do so within 24 hours (we had Onion Valley / Kearsarge Pass in our permitted plan.)  On this point, we researched quite carefully with the Agencies.

If you time your start in late June / early July, most of the herd will be long gone and KM will be pretty quiet.  In normal snow years, you'll have minimal issues with snow or creek crossings by this time.  We left there on July 10th and there were only a few (as in 2-4) thru's there.