[pct-l] Angeles National Forest complete ban on all stoves?!

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Wed Jan 10 00:51:17 CST 2018

Hello from a long-time list lurker. (Long, long time ....) I'm not sure
if this is going to reach the list because although Brick has assured me
in the past that I am still signed up, I have not received messages in
more than a year.

Here's the deal: In researching a SoCal section hike from Campo through
to the aqueduct for this year (yes, I AM doing it again)... I have come
across a forest order from the acting forest supervisor for the Angeles
National Forest, dated Dec. 7. 2017 and effective Jan. 4 2018 through
the end of the 2018 fire season.

The order can be found at:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/angeles/alerts-notices

If that doesn't get you to the place where you can click on "Fire Use
Restrictions 05-01-18-01 Date(s): Dec 7, 2017" you need to manually go
to the Angeles National Forest Web site and drill down to "Alerts and
Notices."

This order appears to ban ALL STOVES OF ANY KIND from the entirety of
the Angeles National Forest. It does not appear to have been done in
conjunction with or consultation of the PCTA. (Jack? Care to chime in?)

I ran across this because of the wild disparity of information and
dis-information on the legality of alcohol stoves in Southern
California. I can find no evidence of a blanket ban on them, or even any
direct evidence of a ban on them in a specific jurisdiction. EXCEPT for
the executive order referenced above.

IF this is what it appears to be, that's going to be a lot of cold
starts and a lot of cold dinners for a whole lot of PCT hikers.

I would like to hear the PCTA's statement on this and other stove
regulations currently in Southern California. I can't find word one on
the PCTA site on this issue, only a vague line on the water report that
doesn't reference a flat-out ban, only an urging of people to not carry
cat stoves.

Anyone who'd like to offer some clarity -- more light than heat! --
please jump in here.

Respectfully,

David Plotnikoff