[pct-l] Whatever happened to pct-l?

David Hough reading PCT-L pctl at oakapple.net
Sun Feb 25 10:15:22 CST 2018

David Plotnikoff - who in a previous technological era wrote
under the name "modem driver" - asks what happened here.

The answer is that pct-l is still working with a lot of people
subscribed, mostly useful ones, as you discover if you ask a specific
question.    I still gets lots of help when I ask.
But

1) But we are in a new technological era of social media, and most of
the input, and most of the output, and almost all of the noise, has
gone to Facebook.    They are welcome to it, especially the noise.

I have been running a similar sort of email list using similar mailman
software:

Looking back at its archives, I see the first month that nothing was
posted was November 2014.    By 2017, there were only postings in two months.

2) Part of the problem might have been that a lot of ISP's had a lot of
trouble discriminating between email list postings and spam and over time a lot
of list subscribers got weeded out because their ISP's bounced the list
mail as spam.
The email from the email list server that they were getting unsubscribed
also bounced in those cases.     I think these kinds of issues have mostly
been straightened out but they were intense for a while, just about the
time people started switching to Facebook.

3) mailman digests just don't seem to work any more when the volume of
postings is too low.     That might be a problem with the mailman software,
or maybe it's the ISP problem.    But there is no longer any need to subscribe
to pct-l in digest form, the volume is quite acceptable and low in noise.

So change your subscription option to not digest.

>From the looks of the archives,
the same thing has been happening on cdt-l on backcountry.net.
I wonder about corresponding AT lists.