[pct-l] Section A advice

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Mon Feb 19 17:43:47 CST 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Susan Virnig <susanvirnig at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am hoping to start at the border sometime in mid-March and hike north 100-200 miles.  How’s the water situation in the desert, and would it be better to start even earlier?  But then what’s the snow conditions around Mt. Laguna and in the San Jacintos?  Do you need micro-spikes?  Or is it simply too early to try to hike thru them?

I can't speak to water right now, as I have not been out on the trail
recently, but we have had VERY little rain so far this winter.

There is no snow in the Lagunas, nor is there likely to be any that
will stick.You will need to be prepared for cold windy weather, but
don't expect any snow till north of Hwy 74

There is little snow at PCT elevations in over San Jac. Here is the
Long Valley webcam which is higher than the trail, over by the Palm
Springs tram. You can see there is little snow
https://www.pstramway.com/long-valley-cam/

Have a great trip