[pct-l] Fwd: Re: PCT List

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Sat Dec 29 18:19:25 CST 2018

Yes Switchback,
I also have been to Hawaii more than one time and love the
mountains(more on that later).
The first time in 1965 when the whole 1st Marine Division shipped out to
Vietnam during the
first major combat ground forces build up.
Sorry to hear that your hiking days are over but, it happens to all of
us sooner or later.
I noticed that my hiking stamina is not what it used to be 10-15 years ago.
10-15 years ago when I was going for the JMT unsupported records I
trained to stay in shape
doing 25 loops daily going up and down a 86 steps stair well from a
parking lot to a Student Dorm
at a college in my neighborhood wearing my backpack and "Waffle Stumper"
hiking boots.
I had not done that for a year or so and decided to try it again a few
days ago.
Unfortunately, after 10 loops I decided I had enough of it.
See what I mean?....25 loops where not a problem at all in my mid 60's
but 10 loops seemed harder
at age 78 than 25 loops at age 60.
The list will still appreciate your vast trail knowledge and humor so
keep it coming Switchback.
I am glad to hear that you will still be riding your trike to the Mountains.
May I suggest that you trade the trike for one of those German World War
II Side Winder
Motorcycles so poor Mrs. Switchback can sit safely in the Side Winder,
instead of  hanging  on to
dear life on the back seat, while you are hotroding in the mountains.

JMT Reinhold
Switchback wrote:
Yes, you are right about NZ and HI.
I have been there many times in my younger days.
I am giving most of my hiking gear to my son-in-law.
He is into bike riding on trails big time with his friends and now wants
to get into bike hammock camping.
On this holiday trip to TX, I gave him my 900 down camping quilt.
It is a beauty.
Camo design on the outside and black on the inside.
I think it weighs about 27 ounces extra wide and extra long from
Enlighten Equipment.
My New Year's promise is to ride my trike up into the mountains twice a
month at least.
It will be hard to give up my Z-Pack cuben gear, but I guess I have to
do it, since I cannot walk too far anymore.
Anyway, when I am out on the trike I like to stay at luxury motels with
indoor pools and hot tubes.  :-)

Cheers, Switchback the Road Pirate

---