[pct-l] Kick Off

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:37:31 CDT 2018

I remember back in 2009.
We had formed a little tribe those first 5 days up to Warner Springs.
A great gut named Shrek left us his Toyota landcruiser at Warner Springs so
we could drive back to the Kick Off.
Who does that?!

Anyhow, walking around at Kick Off with Bob Dole we happen to pass Tea Tree.
I practically yelled at her in my excitement; "Oh my god.. it's Tea Tree!".
Think i spooked her a little.
Bob Dole said "Dude!"

Then we came to Yogi's table.
I was too shy to approach.
Bob Dole pushed me and introduced us.

Reading her guide books you can't help but get caught up in their trail
personas and the stories they told.
I know Yogi is a touchy subject among some here.
Let's just leave it.
Back in 2009, Yogi's book was a powerful inspiration to me and greatly
enhanced my trail experience.
I remember Mori aka Nobody, asked Yogi to sign the town guide he bought
from her.
Her reply was classic; "You're just going to cut it up?!"

Strider came and sat with us on the grass.
My little tribe of strangers that in 5 days had become siblings.
We said; "We are so lucky to be here, hiking this trail.. to have this
trail to hike."
He replied; "I am very glad to hear you say that."
Such an open and friendly man he was.
You could see the tears well up in his eyes.
Dicentra's food seminar.
Volunteering in the kitchen.
The group photo on the rock down by the lake.
Dude walking around in the first Jacks R Better wearable quilt i had ever
seen.
Coyote running at dawn through camp in the frosty grass.

That was just my first KO.
The second was even more exciting because I left to go hike the CDT
directly after.

Such a wonderful event.
-iceaxe