[pct-l] Lake Marina kick off

Susan Virnig susanvirnig at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:29:13 CDT 2018

From a section hiker:

On April 4 I started at Campo and hiked 152 miles to Highway 74 — great burgers at the Paradise Valley Cafe! — but the heat from the border to Lake Morena was awful. Nearly all of us took 2 days to get to the lake.  Each time the folks I was hiking with descended to the desert floor, the heat and the liters of water we had to carry made life very difficult.  (Most water sources were already dry or broken or unsupplied.)  Many of us commented that we couldn’t understand why the ADZPCTKO used to be held in late April, inviting many hikers to start then.  If it was bad for us, we couldn’t imagine starting a month later.  (And I know that some folks circled back for the event, but truly — it encouraged many to start then.)

The opinion of the 15-20 folks I was consistently hiking and/or camping with was that if it were ever held again, do it a month earlier.

—Sunshine (Susan from Spokane)  (1650 done & 1000 to go)