[pct-l] Hiking Boots vs Trail Runners for Sierra 2017?

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 11:29:43 CDT 2017

Melanie asked:"I have some European friends hiking the PCT this year and they are wondering if I should mail them their hiking boots to Kennedy Meadows for the Sierras; or if they should continue to use their trail runners with sturdy gaters to the knee."
Reply:
I hiked in the high snow year of 2006, leaving KM on June 14.  My 2 cents is to emphasize the fact that hiking the high Sierra this time of year in a high snow year is extremely wet on the feet.  There are countless stream crossings that are over ankle deep, far more than are indicated in any guide.  Due to trail trenching, there are times when the trail itself is a stream.

If using boots, the two choices are to have very wet boots (and very wet feet) the entire way, or to be stopping very frequently to change into / out of water crossing footwear so as to keep the boots from being submerged and filling with water.  Even with this very time consuming precaution, its highly probable that boots will become saturated anyways.  Given typical type of boot construction it is unlikely that they would dry out to any significant degree.

If using running type shoes, the choice is to have wet feet some of the time and damp feet most of the remainder of the time.  After a few minutes of walking, post ford, getting the shoes to "squish" out much of the water, if desired, socks can be wrung out and if the next hour of trail is dry, feet are down to merely a damp condition, not soaking wet.  Shoes can dry somewhat at camp or during a lunch break if out in the sun and opened up to the breeze.   If shoes freeze overnight, it is possible to thaw with a splash of boiling water.

More generically with foot care in these conditions, I would highly recommend finding a nice dry rock to lunch on and removing shoes and socks to allow at least a brief period of totally dry feet mid day.  Once in camp and no longer needing to walk about at the end of the day, get the wet gear off the feet and allow the feet to dry completely - bare dry feet are better than wet socks for sleeping.  Have multiple pair of socks, with a dry pair in reserve (air drying on outside of the pack all day) for sleeping in if you must have socks on at night.

Look up "Trench Foot", to include causes and preventative actions that one can take.

Standard disclaimers:Opinions worth what you paid.
My 2 cents.
YMMV.
HYOH.
Etc.