[pct-l] Trail Conditions in Section F

Jim Banks JimLBanks at verizon.net
Sat May 13 15:44:27 CDT 2017

I just got back from a little Section hike in Section F (May 11 and 12),
from where the trail crosses Kelso Valley road (mile 616) to Walker Pass
Campground (mile 651.3).  The trail is in pretty good shape.  Between Bird
Spring Pass (mile 630.9) and Walker Pass Campground there are about 15 trees
across the trail, but all of them are easy go arounds.  There was a guy on a
horse ahead of me and he said he had no problems going around the trees.

There is water in the little stream that crosses the trail at mile 643.45,
just before McIvers Spring.   At that point the trail is actually a road
walk.  If it is still flowing when you get there it can save you the off
trail walk to McIvers Cabin/spring.   There are large water caches at mile
616 and at Bird Spring Pass (mile 630.9).

For section hikers looking for access road information:  Kelso Valley Road
is paved all the way to where the trail crosses it at mile 616.  This is
about 20 miles from Highway 178.  There is a trail head there with parking
for a few vehicles.  Bird Spring Canyon Road (SC120) is a dirt road that
takes you up to Bird Spring Pass from the west side.  It is accessed from
paved Kelso Valley Road.   The 5.5 miles up to Bird Spring Pass is a little
rough, with deep sand in places.  My two wheel drive Colorado pickup made it
with no trouble.  I am not sure if a regular car would make it, but any
truck or SUV should be OK.  There is a trail head where the trail crosses
the road with enough parking for 7 or 8 vehicles.

I-Beam