[pct-l] Anecdotal observations: PCT Water Report & Sierra Snow and Ford Report (new this year)

Paint YW paintyourwagonhikes at gmail.com
Wed May 3 14:27:58 CDT 2017

I was curious about the water report, and the snow and ford report, and
what were the hikers reporting to them, for this time of year.

It's interesting to note that the below entry is the most current and
farthest north, so far- to be reported for this season about this
particular water source.

Pacific Crest Trail Water Report

https://pctwater.com/

Part Three: Agua Dulce to Cottonwood Pass

file:///C:/Users/TEX/Downloads/Pacific%20Crest%20Trail%20Water%20Report%20-%20Agua%20Dulce%20-%20Cottonwood%20Pass%20(2).pdf

G6 / 697.9 / WR699 / *South Fork Kern River Full and high, good water /
4/14/17 / Jo

Sierra Snow and Ford Report (new this year)

file:///C:/Users/TEX/Downloads/Pacific%20Crest%20Trail%20Water%20Report%20-%20Snow%20Report%20(1).pdf

D4 / 377.9 / 9,390 / Mt Baden Powell / 4/24/17 / Aaron

4/24/17 (Aaron) : Microspikes and hiking poles a must, ice axe and crampons
not needed. Recommend having Guthooks or route finding skills as the trail
disappears from time to time. Ground was consistently covered in slushy
snow starting at 8500 ft which is when the trail disappears for the most
part. Lots of footprints going in various directions. Kicking steps rather
than following others' footprints often made for better traction. Due to an
injury, I also descended today with glissading being the easiest way down.
Ice axe would have been nice but poles did the job in terms of controlling
the short glissades. No need to take the alternate route. Brave the snow
and enjoy the amazing view from the top!!

-----

4/19/17 (Ghost) : Snow level about 7500 feet. approx 1.5 miles from bottom
of trail. Full snow (no bare trail visible) after about 8500. The surface
is starting to suncup, which made for good foot placements. The slope will
be icy early. I hit 8500 feet at 11 am and The snow was softening to
provide more traction. The fastest/most effecient route above 8500 is
directly up to the summit. I used Micro spikes and poles. I would not
recommend going without spikes or crampons. From Summit going west, the PCT
follows the ridge line. Snow was in good condition for walking and there
was ample bare ridge which was easy to walk on. Towards the end of the
ridge it's necessary to traverse on 25 - degree north slopes, but the
afternoon sun facilitated good step kicking. The middle of day is best time
for travel, due to softer snow conditions, I'd avoid early morning or end
of day. Navigation skills a prerequisite, as trail is not visible about
8500 feet. Crampons would be first choice over microspikes.

The last I heard (from Postholer's snowpack link) is that June 15th is the
date to enter the Sierras, from mile 702- Kennedy Meadows.

Paint