[pct-l] Fires

Drew Smith jdrewsmith at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:24:20 CDT 2017

No question that there have been many fires in CA over the last decade. But
before sending down commandments from on high, how about a little data to
inform the conversation?

How many fires have been attributed to backpackers? To long-distance hikers?

How many have been attributed to alcohol stoves? How many to stoves with
shut-off valves?
What is the baseline prevalence of alcohol stoves vs other stoves? If
alcohol stoves are used by 30% of hikers but cause 20% of fires, then the
logical conclusion is that alcohol stoves are safer than other stoves.

I'd be surprised if anyone (including the USFS and other agencies) actually
has data to support their beliefs about the danger of alcohol stoves. If
you do have data, please share it with us, and I will be glad to be
educated. Until then, I don't feel any particular need to treat folks'
opinions as anything more than what they are - beliefs untethered to
verifiable facts.

Drew